British Embassy Manila

British Embassy Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in the Philippines and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +63 2 858 2200. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in the Philippines, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British Embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document (ETD) if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible. Call us before making an appointment if you’ve never applied for a British passport before or if you’re applying for a child under the age of 16.

If your passport is lost or stolen, you’ll need to get a police report before an ETD can be issued.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Manila

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to the Philippines, see travel advice for the Philippines.

Get a visa

The British Embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We can issue affirmations or affidavits of marital status and, in some circumstances, perform a marriage or civil partnership for British nationals. For information on getting married in the Philippines, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in the Philippines. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in the Philippines and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in the Philippines. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

This service is for customers whose UK documents (birth, death, marriage certificates, for example) have been legalised by the Legalisation Office in the UK only.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine – an essential part in the preparation of UK public documents for use overseas. Legalisation does not certify the authenticity of a document, nor does it endorse or approve the contents of a document.

Read our notarial and documentary services for more information on legalisation.

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in the Philippines. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.


funeral directors

medical facilities and practitioners

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

• provide information about transferring funds

• provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

• help people with mental illness

• offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping

• contact family or friends for you if you want

• make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

• provide support with adoption – including details of who you need to talk to and what documents you may require.

For more information on the services, we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in the Philippines

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

• help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid

• give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.

• get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people

• pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)

• make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation

• make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in the Philippines – payment should be made in cash or manager’s cheque made payable to ‘British Embassy’.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.