Victoria Sponge Cake in a Halogen Oven
Ingredients for Victoria Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour See how to make your own.
- 225g/8oz caster sugar, plus a table-spoon extra for dusting the sponge
- 225g/8oz margarine or butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Strawberry Jam
Optional: Whipped cream
Method of baking a Victoria Sponge Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease the tin with margarine or butter
- Mix the margarine or butter with the castor sugar in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs.
- Slowly add the beaten egg while to the bowl while mixing.
- Mix the baking powder to the flour then add to bowl and mix well.
- An electric mixer is beat or you can fold it in with a wooden spoon.
The mixture should now have a soft dropping consistency that will fall of a spoon. If it has not, add a spoon of milk to the mix and beat in.
- Divide the mixture in two put half in the fridge. This doesn’t need to be exact.
Put the other half in the tin and use a spatula to spread it evenly in the tin.
- Place the tin on a low rack of the halogen oven and bake for 20 minutes. Don’t be tempted to open the top while it is cooking.
The top should be golden-brown and coming away from the edge of the tin. Check it is cooked by putting a skewer or a small knife into the cake it should come out clean, if it does not come out clean cook for a few more minutes. A halogen oven will brown the top before the middle is cooked so do not just go by the look of the top.
- Set aside and leave to cool for 5 minutes then carefully turn it out onto a cooling rack.
- Wash and re-grease the tin.
- Take the remaining mix out of the fridge and repeat steps 10 to 13.
- Turn the first half upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of jam, you can also spread cream.
- Put the second half on top and sprinkle lightly with castor sugar.